The following publication is available from the Employment Relations Unit.
Compensation, severance and redundancy payments: a guide for practitioners (England and Wales, Fourth Edition)
This guide is essential reading for all HR staff, payroll specialists and pension managers. It is the only compensation, severance and redundancy payments guide written specifically for local government in England and Wales.
A practical source of help, it provides comprehensive guidance on severance payments for employees who are members (or eligible to be members) of the Local Government Pension Scheme. (Please note the guide was last updated in 2010 so where necessary readers will need to cross reference to current pension regulations).
For example it includes information and guidance on:
- Statutory redundancy payments
- The Redundancy Payments (Continuity of Employment in Local Government etc.) (Modification) Order 1999
- Relevant provisions of the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discretionary compensation powers open to councils in the event of redundancy or in the interests of efficiency of the service and their interaction with the age discrimination provisions of the Equality Act 2010
- Issues and options to consider when developing or amending a discretionary policy.
1. The guide does not include provisions for teachers, firefighters and uniformed police officers.
2. The guide is for general use and cannot cover every circumstance nor does it cover specific protected rights that apply to a very limited number of employees (for example, employees who, as part of a machinery of government change, were transferred to local authorities on 1 April 2010 from the Learning and Skills Council for England).